* 4 ounces thick sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
* 1 medium onion, cut into medium dice
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sweet corn
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
* 2 teaspoons snipped fresh chives
1. Fry bacon over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven until crisp, 7 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
2. Pour off all but 2 Tbs. of the bacon drippings. Add onions; saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add lima beans, 1/2 cup water, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue to simmer, covered, until partially cooked, about 5 minutes. Add corn, cream, and thyme; return to a simmer, and warm until vegetables are fully cooked and cream doesn’t pool, about 5 minutes longer. (Can be refrigerated at this point up to 2 days ahead.)
3. When ready to serve, stir bacon and chives into warm succotash. This recipe doubles easily.